Nintendo 3DS Forums
Go Back   Nintendo 3DS Forums > General > The Lounge

The Lounge Just feel like having a chat? Talk about anything in here that doesn't fit in other sections of the forums.

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Dubbed 21 44.68%
Subbed 26 55.32%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Dubbed or Subbed Anime
Old 02-26-2012, 02:38 AM
Edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Question Dubbed or Subbed Anime

A few years ago I started to really get into anime, but I simply couldn't get into animes that were subbed. Please tell me I'm not the only one...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:39 AM
Noddles's Avatar
Touch Miles
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,710
Default

It depends how annoying the japanese or english voice acting is.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 AM
Igiari's Avatar
Ace Attorney
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canadia
Posts: 228
Default

Honestly, I prefer subbed. The dubbers can't compare to the original Japanese voice actors.
__________________
His name is...
Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Order's Avatar
Amethyst Rockstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,699
Default

Dubbed

I like to actually understand the voices
Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 AM
Proto's Avatar
B@nned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Default

as stupid as they sound, i prefer dubbed, im watching anime, not reading a book
__________________
Megaman, you patriotic doofus
Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 AM
Edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Not all dubs are bad. I thought Fullmetal Alchemist nailed the voices, especially the Elric brothers.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 AM
PixelKnot's Avatar
Proud Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: U.S, Missouri
Posts: 4,108
Default

Most English dubs just aren't as good as the original Japanese voices.

Unlike a few people, I can listen to an high pitched, squeaky Japanese girl without being annoyed. I have watched anime for quite a while now, so I'm pretty used to it.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:55 AM
nasic870's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,171
Default

Subbed for the most part. If I'm watching FMA, though, I'll watch it dubbed because that's how I watched it as a kid so the Japanese VA sounds too off.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:05 AM
ElderKain's Avatar
~ エルダーケーン ~
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: USA, Iowa
Posts: 1,122
Arrow

I prefer Subbed animes, and I'm a very active anime watcher who watches the latest subtitled animes. Sometimes I re-watch them in dubbed on Netflix, but for the most part, I watch them subbed.

Sometimes the Dubs just get ruined >.< Take Soul Eater Dub, if you watch the vids, the audio doesn't match up with the video a lot, and they chose bad voice actors...
As for shows like Naruto, The dubbed got ruined for me when they pronounced Genin wrong in the dub...
They pronounce like Ge-Neeen (With the een like Teen) when it's pronounced like Ge-nin (Nin like Nintendo, lol.)

Terrible translations, and bad voice actors ruin most dubs for me. Don't get me wrong there are some great dubs out there, but for the most part, I'd rather read subtitled fansubs better.
__________________
[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] [
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
] "Someone told me to get a life, But I haven't found one on eBay yet." ~ElderKain
Old 02-26-2012, 03:07 AM
You may call me Marth.
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Outer Heaven
Posts: 1,549
Default

For the most part, I prefer subs. English just doesn't belong in anime, IMO. Also I don't mind high pitched Japanese female voices like most people.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 AM
JTA777's Avatar
Don't mess with a bunny!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Land of the Taguel
Posts: 760
Default

Depends. I mean, it depends whats going on. If your reading the sub titles, then you cant see whats going on, but if you are listening to some annoying voice, sometimes it doesn't even feel worth watching.
__________________
Fight Mega Man; For Everlasting Peace!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

I like subbed because the voice acting is usually better and I pick up more by reading the dialogue than listening to it.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:21 AM
GabCM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I used to watch anime and manga, but then I stopped months ago because I got bored of that. But I watched anime subbed for the simple reason that original versions almost always sound better than any dubbed version. That's why I watch american movies in English with subs (in English, for a reason*) when I can even if I speak French.

But next time I'll watch an anime, I'm thinking of switching to English dubbed for a reason*. French dubs don't even exist (except for some kids shows like Bakugan) where I live anyway unless I do some illegal stuff that I can't even explain here. For this reason, I ain't voting in this poll.

*That reason would take a while to explain.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I guess I am the only one after all.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:53 AM
CUD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I have watched much more of my anime dubbed, most dubs that I have seen feature some good voice acting. I more recently started watching some subbed anime like Kore wa Zombie Desu Ka? and Mayo Chiki and have really enjoyed them. If I watch a season of an anime in a language I'll watch the rest of it in that language.

I think I still tend to prefer dubbed just because I can sit back and understand what they're saying without having to read all the dialogue.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 AM
redturtle806's Avatar
Slacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I guess I am the only one after all.
No you aren't. I prefer dubs, I just can't get as "into it" if I'm watching a subbed anime.
__________________
But this is Southern just face it, if we're too simple then y'all don't get the basics
Old 02-26-2012, 03:57 AM
jroc716's Avatar
NOMSAYIN
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington, VA
Posts: 115
Default

dubbed by far.......... even though i always heard watching it in japanese is way better yea ok..
__________________
add me everyone!! 0044-3622-4140
Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 AM
redturtle806's Avatar
Slacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc716 View Post
dubbed by far.......... even though i always heard watching it in japanese is way better yea ok..
Sure it's better, as long as you can speak Japanese. But for 99% of North America, ehhhhhh not so much.
__________________
But this is Southern just face it, if we're too simple then y'all don't get the basics
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 AM
MythOS's Avatar
Sora Mau Yuusha!
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,001
Default

Dubbed for me. Those who talk trash about dubs have probably only seen a handful of old dubs. Localization's evolved since then, and now we've got some amazing dubs like the ones for Death Note, Code Geass, FLCL, FMA, and so on.
Of course, I definitely don't mind subs if the dub is horrendous/there isn't a dub available.
__________________
Hero of the Skies~
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 AM
Edge
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I've never watched an entire dub, so I suppose I am being pretty judgmental. The only subs I've seen were a few episodes of Pok?mon.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 AM
jroc716's Avatar
NOMSAYIN
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington, VA
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle806 View Post
Sure it's better, as long as you can speak Japanese. But for 99% of North America, ehhhhhh not so much.
Yea thats what im saying if i spoke the japanese language it would be awesome!!
__________________
add me everyone!! 0044-3622-4140
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 AM
GabCM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc716 View Post
dubbed by far.......... even though i always heard watching it in japanese is way better yea ok..
Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle806 View Post
Sure it's better, as long as you can speak Japanese. But for 99% of North America, ehhhhhh not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc716 View Post
Yea thats what im saying if i spoke the japanese language it would be awesome!!
Sounds like you guys don't even know subtitles exist.

But I think you do know. Am I right?
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 AM
redturtle806's Avatar
Slacker
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Epic View Post
Sounds like you guys don't even know subtitles exist.

But I think you do know. Am I right?
I just don't wanna have to focus on reading text while I'm watching something. Plus it's just more exciting/interesting to me in English. I can get a lot more pumped up over Yusuke yelling "SPIRIT GUN!!!" than I can over some crap I can't understand.
__________________
But this is Southern just face it, if we're too simple then y'all don't get the basics
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 AM
jroc716's Avatar
NOMSAYIN
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lexington, VA
Posts: 115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redturtle806 View Post
I just don't wanna have to focus on reading text while I'm watching something. Plus it's just more exciting/interesting to me in English. I can get a lot more pumped up over Yusuke yelling "SPIRIT GUN!!!" than I can over some crap I can't understand.
You nailed it on the head. I know what subtitles are and their pointless unless your death or something. This is america i live in and either speak english or go away. I do not want to read english when i can speak and write it.
__________________
add me everyone!! 0044-3622-4140
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 AM
Captsu Ichicon
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I like subbed anime. Why? Have you heard naruto's voice? Also english pronunciation sucks
Old 02-26-2012, 04:56 AM
☆Peanut's Avatar
Ooohh banana!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Potatoland
Posts: 6,142
Default

I'd rather anime watch in Japanese, but unfortunately for me, I have a small reading issue that I can't help.

I'm a very slow reader, I can't read and process what I've just read fast enough in order to follow what's going on when I'm reading subs. I often have to pause just to read and understand something.

I've watched some animes before in Japanese with subs, then re-watched them again in English and I was able to completely understand and follow what was going on so much better.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 AM
Radiant's Avatar
Band Nerd ♫
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The South
Posts: 1,232
Default

Depends on whichever is legally available to watch for free.

If both are available I just randomly (or circumstantially) choose one or the other and stick with it for that series.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:56 AM
Bon's Avatar
Bon Bon is offline
テキテケテキですか?
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,429
Default

Depends.

I prefer hearing it in my native tongue when the quality is good, because then I can actually focus on the animation instead of the text. It also resonates better in general. FMA, YuYu Hakusho, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Samurai Champloo and Ghibli fit this bill well.

However, dubs can also vary greatly in quality, so it's often safer to just stick with the original voice actors. I tend to just look for subs when going into a show blind, especially with Shonen crap.

They each have their benefits and weaknesses, though I will take a good dub over a good sub.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 AM
Sephazon's Avatar
Site Networker
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Veni. Interrogavi. Scio.
Posts: 5,222
Default

I prefer the dubbed version of Ouran Highschool Host Club over the subbed version.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:00 AM
Chatroom Dweller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: East Coast
Posts: 990
Default

I started with Subbed anime's and have stuck with it. The only exception is Ghibli, which I like to hear the English voice acting of.
__________________
BAD WOLF
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

It really depends on how good the dub is.

Cowboy Bebop, Baccano!, and Fullmetal Alchemist have pretty good dubs so I just watch those. I prefer to watch dubs because it's easier to multi-task while watching.

But some dubs are so terrible (or some aren't dubbed at all) that I simply must watch the subbed version.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 PM
FetusBrigade's Avatar
Panty Inspector
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Snow Queen's boudoir
Posts: 92
Default

Subbed. I already like foreign films, and can read fast enough to still take in all the action, so they don't bother me. I do prefer the Gurren Lagann dub to the sub, and both tracks for FLCL for fantastic. Hellsing/Hellsing OVA, Cowboy Bebop, Durarara, and FMA are a few others I can think of that were dubbed well enough for me not to watch subbed.

There's also the fact that some anime doesn't get picked up for dubbing, or the stuff that gets censored out. Sailor Moon is a good example of the latter...and bad dubbing. It's like some of the VA didn't even try.
__________________
"If love is forever, then it doesn't matter what you pay per hour."
Old 02-26-2012, 07:54 PM
Riku's Avatar
Seeker of Truth
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Inaba
Posts: 3,515
Default

Dubbed because I'm not a weeaboo.
__________________
SRT is like the rebellious 12 year old. Confused about his sexuality, gets mad at his parents and leaves the house for a couple of hours claiming he's never coming back.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:56 PM
GabCM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groose View Post
Dubbed because I'm not a weeaboo.
How did this reply take time to appear? I was expecting it on the first page.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:00 PM
ABigFloppyGoat's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 677
Default

Prefer the original voice acting.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM
FetusBrigade's Avatar
Panty Inspector
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Snow Queen's boudoir
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groose View Post
Dubbed because I'm not a weeaboo.
To some people, liking anime alone makes you a weaboo.
__________________
"If love is forever, then it doesn't matter what you pay per hour."
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 PM
Riku's Avatar
Seeker of Truth
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Inaba
Posts: 3,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FetusBrigade View Post
To some people, liking anime alone makes you a weaboo.
But I don't even like anime that much. Pretty much all I ever watch for anime is the stuff that's on Adult Swim sometimes. And even at that, I think most of it is just plain awful.
__________________
SRT is like the rebellious 12 year old. Confused about his sexuality, gets mad at his parents and leaves the house for a couple of hours claiming he's never coming back.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Inoperable Brain Tumor's Avatar
PSN ID: Cloroxbb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 5,418
Default

I prefer subbed because most dubs have awful english voice actors. Also, its like the SAME voice actors in just about every Anime. But Im not big into Anime anymore...
Old 02-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 11
Default

I prefer subtitles to dubbed films, that goes for anime, foreign films, whatever. I just prefer to hear the original actors really, and oftentimes dubs can be very poorly done.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Proto's Avatar
B@nned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Default

i like dragon ball (Z).................. its mindless, i know, but its entertaining, the story is nonexistent, just about all of the characters are very undeveloped, the dialouge is stupid and not necessary, its incredibly repetitive, but honestly, i just like watching people beat the **** out of each other GT CAN GO **** ITSELF

also, speed racer and astro boy are pretty funny "STOP OR ILL STOP YOU!"
__________________
Megaman, you patriotic doofus
Old 02-27-2012, 03:15 AM
CUD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It's not anime unless jroc716 says so.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

All right, let's get this thread back on track.

This is about subbed vs dubbed.

Not about what anime is.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:26 AM
Auzzie Wingman's Avatar
The Forum Mother
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,629
Default

I prefer dubbed.

You occasionally get a really bad sub every now and then, and once you see it, it mad turns you off from watching any more.

Now, if I understood Japanese, RAW would take the cake.
__________________
I want to take my Social Link with you to Rank 11.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:27 AM
CUD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes ma'am.

I think most people that dislike dubs base their opinion from watching very little of dubs. Sure some dubs aren't very good but there are some that are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie Wingman View Post
Now, if I understood Japanese, RAW would take the cake.
Yeah I'm the same way.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 AM
TamaskavLEM's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 489
Default

Dub. I know subs seem to have more emotion spewing out during certain situations, I just hardly have a problem with english VO.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Crossfire's Avatar
おれはすごいいですよ~!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by igiari View Post
Honestly, I prefer subbed. The dubbers can't compare to the original Japanese voice actors.
Yep, pretty much this. Granted, there are some good dubs, but generally speaking the original voices are much better.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Darkrai Lv.1000's Avatar
with power beyond belief
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Alamos Town, Sinnoh
Posts: 796
Default

I always watch dubbed unless I know that it's better in subbed or if only subbed is available.
__________________
My power is limitless...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
CUD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Yep, pretty much this. Granted, there are some good dubs, but generally speaking the original voices are much better.
But if you can't understand Japanese then how exactly do you know that the voice acting is good? Sure you can hear emotion but you're only reading what is happening, I just find that can detract a little from the experience.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
Yuoke's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDpwns View Post
But if you can't understand Japanese then how exactly do you know that the voice acting is good? Sure you can hear emotion but you're only reading what is happening, I just find that can detract a little from the experience.
I agree, I just can't do subs. It feels so much more unnatural when watching whatever anime it is, no matter how much worse the dub would be. Yes, even for something like kai.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 AM
CUD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
I agree, I just can't do subs. It feels so much more unnatural when watching whatever anime it is, no matter how much worse the dub would be. Yes, even for something like kai.
Well I do watch subs, as I said in an earlier post, I just don't really understand the argument that people prefer the voice acting of a language they don't even understand.

I have watched more dubs than I have watched subs, but rather than wait for a dub of new anime I'll just watch a sub of it and still be able to enjoy it.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:06 PM
GabCM
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I don't know what people think of that, but I thought Afro Samurai's English dub was one of the best anime English dubs I've ever heard.

I was talking about the anime, not the game.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:06 PM
TamaskavLEM's Avatar  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 489
Default

Surely not because Samuel L Jackson's in it...


But they do have a nice cast.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM
wiebiebie's Avatar
Minecraft Survival Expert
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Holland
Posts: 219
Default

Subbed, especially Naruto Shippuden
__________________
The world is falling apart, thats why im eating cookies
Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
MikeGreece13's Avatar
Stand, Bow, Aye!
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Iraklion, Crete, Greece
Posts: 2,443
Default

I prefer to watch anime subbed. Even though it's a lot easier to just listen to the dialogue than read it, I chose to subbed animes because the Japanese voice acting is generally better than the English voice acting. Greek dub is never an option for me since most animes don't even have a Greek dub and if they do the voice acting sucks(e.g. Dragonball Z).
Old 02-27-2012, 07:28 PM
lolliepopsie's Avatar
Sweeter than lollipops..♥
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 40
Default

I prefer dubs, but a lot of animes are only available in Japanese.
__________________
~♥ lollie ♥ 4038-6469-3159 ♥~
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
Old 02-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Lebon14's Avatar
Gomen ne, Jenna-chan
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 326
Default

Subbed 99% of the time. I hate dubs for the most part.
__________________
3DS FC: 3737-9574-7778 ;; (Pokemon X FS: Lillipup, Loudred, Chansey - Searching for select Safaris - PM FS pkmn before adding me)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 AM
IvyProfen's Avatar
Member of KI:LL
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 660
Default

I like subs much better. Mostly because of shotty translations. Or when a character has a weird quirks in the way they speak. It just doesn't translate over to english. A well known one being in the early naruto anime, "Dattebayo" or w/e got translated into "believe it".

Also characters like TK in Angel Beat completely change when a show gets dubbed. The only time i prefer dubs is when they have an "American" character in the anime and the Japanese Dub is just utterly terrible at speaking english. God just hire a native english speaker.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Crossfire's Avatar
おれはすごいいですよ~!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUDpwns View Post
But if you can't understand Japanese then how exactly do you know that the voice acting is good? Sure you can hear emotion but you're only reading what is happening, I just find that can detract a little from the experience.
Eh, it just so happens that I do understand a little bit of Japanese, but I get your point. I guess it helps that I'm trying to learn the language, so naturally I try to watch/read stuff in Japanese when I can.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:07 AM
IvyProfen's Avatar
Member of KI:LL
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 660
Default

Its not so much understanding what they are saying through the actual words. But from their tone that makes Japanese voice acting better imo. Japanese voice actors are not afraid of going big and thus makes them fun to listen to. Sure there are some English VAs that are also very good.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Auzzie Wingman's Avatar
The Forum Mother
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,629
Default

If I said CheezTV, would CUD say "**** YES!"... I wonder...
__________________
I want to take my Social Link with you to Rank 11.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 PM
CUD
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzie Wingman View Post
If I said CheezTV, would CUD say "**** YES!"... I wonder...
**** YES!

Ah, those were the days.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Federalists Arise!
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Camden, NY, USA
Posts: 112
Default

I really don't care if it's subbed or dubbed. As long as the acting is great, I couldn't care less.

To those of you saying "u dun understand japanese why enjoy it better" I can name a few anime that has terrible, nonono, CRAPPY English dubbing that it makes me want to jump into a volcano in a Hawaiian ritual. When I watch any kind of Hayao Miyazaki movie and I listen to the Disney dub, it is just downright terrible. True, some movies like Howl's Moving Castle and Naussica have awesome actors like the goddamn Batman Christian Bale and Star Trek Captain Patrick Stewart, but they just can't act when it comes to dubbing anime. To me, voicing something for an anime is way different than trying to act in a movie or live television show. But you can tell when some dubbing is just some people half-assing it or not knowing how to translate properly. So, I naturally go to the Japanese version because I want to see if the acting SOUNDS better. Plus, it makes the work more genuine and more appealing to the audience since afterall it is Japanese animation. There are some works that have bad American and Japanese dubs, I don't deny it. But as far as this debate goes, it's just all about finding your own voice and what sounds more fluent and appealing to you.

Great English subs like Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, and Dragonball Z are what got me into anime in the first place anyways. =P
Old 04-22-2014, 04:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 945
Default

I tend to watch it subbed for the same reason I tend to watch american movies in English, and I speak French. That reason is I find original versions to be generally better than translated ones.

However, if I have to watch it dubbed, I wouldn't mind.

This applies to anything in any media and in any language.

Another reason is that subbed anime could appear even before any dub existed. That's basically why I watched Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Attack on Titan and Kill la Kill subbed.

Last edited by Gaborg; 04-22-2014 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM
MimisMan's Avatar
LoZ is Love, LoZ is Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Macedonia,Greece
Posts: 1,118
Default

I preffer subbed. Although I watched the whole Dragonball/Z/GT series dubbed and it was awesome (and it was literally what made me learn this good english singlehandedly) I believe in most cases (especially in comedy anime) the anime loses a part of its soul if it is dubbed. Again, there are exceptions like Dragonball but the majority of the dubbed anime aren't as good as the subbed ones.
__________________
You 've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?...
Old 04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
Cosmic Fuzz's Avatar
Master of None
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 621
Default

It depends on the anime and the voice actors.

Like Mimis said, DBZ in English is far superior IMO to DBZ in Japanese. I prefer FMA dubbed rather than subbed (Vic too good). I can't watch Naruto in English is an example against dubbed for me.
__________________
Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM
Beldomsey's Avatar
Is allergic to the sun...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heh... HEHEHEHHEEHHEE! (Translation: Some asylum).
Posts: 1,512
Default

Honestly, I don't mind either. I used to really not like subbed, but I've gotten used to it after watching the entire Gundam Build Fighters show... don't judge me.
__________________
Check this out:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM
Xiph's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Florida
Posts: 44
Default

I prefer subbed for practicing and learning Japanese and at the same time enjoying the anime, although it would have to depend on the voice actors for each version.