Nintendo 3DS Forums
Go Back   Nintendo 3DS Forums > Gaming > Nintendo 3DS Games > Mario 3DS Games General

Mario 3DS Games General From Super Mario 3D Land to Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, discuss the many Mario games available for the 3DS here!

waited for this game for over a year and..
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Default waited for this game for over a year and..

paper mario sticker star. i waited for it for over a year. it is the sole reason why i bought my 3DS nearly a year ago now and it just looks down right too easy. what was intelligent systems thinking? battles are way too easy. every video i see if of mario just wiping out the enemies winthin 1-2 turns.

comments on game?

at least the game play will be fun but the battles, im extremely skeptical now.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Jarinex's Avatar
Died of Aids
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,419
Default

If you buy a system for just one game, thats not a very smart move (IMO).

Anyways, the battles do look easy, but I don't think these enemies are meant to be difficult. It's the bosses that are the ones that will test you (and I hear that this game has some tough bosses), so I think you just fight enemies to soften you up for them.

Come to think of it, I remember playing the first two Paper mario games, and those enemies weren't that hard either (at least until you get to the final parts). The videos I'm assuming you watched look like they are from the first world. Have you watched any that show fights from the game later on?
__________________
I want my name to be Spaghetti
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 PM
SuperStone's Avatar
Is moist and delicious
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The land of a thousand mosquitoes
Posts: 392
Default

I waited for it for three years, since it was announced, and I have a solution for those super easy battles...


...ONLY USE BAD STICKERS DDDD
__________________
BEEF! STEAK! HUGE! HAMS!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Minato Namikaze's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,610
Default

Don't use the battle roulette or whatever it's called. Will it be easy killing 4 enemies with 1 move a turn? Probably not in the latter parts of the game.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarinex View Post
If you buy a system for just one game, thats not a very smart move (IMO).

Anyways, the battles do look easy, but I don't think these enemies are meant to be difficult. It's the bosses that are the ones that will test you (and I hear that this game has some tough bosses), so I think you just fight enemies to soften you up for them.

Come to think of it, I remember playing the first two Paper mario games, and those enemies weren't that hard either (at least until you get to the final parts). The videos I'm assuming you watched look like they are from the first world. Have you watched any that show fights from the game later on?
its not just one game i saw i wanted. there were others but i was like "meh maybe some other time ill get a 3ds" but when i heard about paper mario for the 3ds i was like "ok time to get a 3ds"

yes only seen videos of the first world but i seen a tad of others and it still looked easy but i dont know. 23 hours and ill know if it is good
Old 11-10-2012, 07:15 AM
DarkK's Avatar
Ex-Pony Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,427
Default

Been waiting for this since 2010, and it does look a bit disappointing. Like you, I bought the 3DS for Paper Mario, but kept it because of Sonic Generations, Street Fighter, Mario Kart, Luigi's Mansion and so many other games that are going to come out soon. I won't however judge the whole game based on gameplay videos, as I'd rather play it myself first.
__________________
Nintendo ID (Wii U): DarkKRPG
Nintendo ID (3DS): DarkK2
Old 11-10-2012, 05:29 PM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

1. Buying a handheld for a game that barely had any information on it is never a bright idea. Go ask the Megaman Legends 3 fans
2. You do realize they are just showing low level stuff/really powerful moves to get people interested right? Odds are the game will be much harder on release, and then there's the fact that those rare stickers you may not get much of later on and have to use weaker stickers and get really conservative with them.

I honestly see this game doing rather well, but at the same time can see it flop, but we don't know anything until the game comes out.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Edum Bot's Avatar
Rudeness incarnate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Umbralis
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3dsie View Post
1. Buying a handheld for a game that barely had any information on it is never a bright idea. Go ask the Megaman Legends 3 fans
2. You do realize they are just showing low level stuff/really powerful moves to get people interested right? Odds are the game will be much harder on release, and then there's the fact that those rare stickers you may not get much of later on and have to use weaker stickers and get really conservative with them.

I honestly see this game doing rather well, but at the same time can see it flop, but we don't know anything until the game comes out.
I decided against this game because it lacks both of the trademarks of a PM game:
1.A deep story
2.A round based battle system with partners,badges,etc.

If SS only had 1 of those...
__________________
3DS FC : 0989-1800-1452
Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM
SuperStone's Avatar
Is moist and delicious
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The land of a thousand mosquitoes
Posts: 392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edum Bot View Post
I decided against this game because it lacks both of the trademarks of a PM game:
1.A deep story
2.A round based battle system with partners,badges,etc.

If SS only had 1 of those...
Yup, the ol' DEEP Paper Mario stories... *whistles*
__________________
BEEF! STEAK! HUGE! HAMS!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edum Bot View Post
I decided against this game because it lacks both of the trademarks of a PM game:
1.A deep story
2.A round based battle system with partners,badges,etc.

If SS only had 1 of those...
That's interesting considering no paper mario game has ever had both.

PM 1 and PM 2 both had terrible stories. The side stories of PM2 were cool, but the main story was "FIND THE TREASURE!", how is that deep?

SPM did have a deep story, but not that specific battle system.

You also have no clue if SS doesn't have a deep story or not, so why are you saying it isn't? Same with the battle system. Oh boo hoo, I can't use tattle anymore. Really? The Sticker System actually looks original and you are going to attack Nintendo for that before you even know if it sucks or not? Yeah, that will get them thinking of original ideas.
EDIT:Also, where the heck do we know of no badges? Haven't heard anything of the sort.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:09 PM
Minato Namikaze's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3dsie View Post
That's interesting considering no paper mario game has ever had both.

PM 1 and PM 2 both had terrible stories. The side stories of PM2 were cool, but the main story was "FIND THE TREASURE!", how is that deep?

SPM did have a deep story, but not that specific battle system.

You also have no clue if SS doesn't have a deep story or not, so why are you saying it isn't? Same with the battle system. Oh boo hoo, I can't use tattle anymore. Really? The Sticker System actually looks original and you are going to attack Nintendo for that before you even know if it sucks or not? Yeah, that will get them thinking of original ideas.
EDIT:Also, where the heck do we know of no badges? Haven't heard anything of the sort.
It is probably safe to assume there are no badges as stickers cover all the badge attacks and stuff like HP is gained through upgrades.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Edum Bot's Avatar
Rudeness incarnate
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Umbralis
Posts: 848
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3dsie View Post
That's interesting considering no paper mario game has ever had both.PM 1 and PM 2 both had terrible stories. The side stories of PM2 were cool, but the main story was "FIND THE TREASURE!", how is that deep?

SPM did have a deep story, but not that specific battle system.
TTYD had both.The whole story of the game was pieced together by each smaller story.Petalburg and Hooktail's tyrany,the X-naut invasion in The Great Tree,the Glitzville battles,Doopiss' (typo intended)curse on Twilight Town,the whole pirate island stuff,the 3 days on the Excess Express,the way to the moon and everything behind The Thousand-Year Door.It all build up over the whole game.As for PM64...the story was kinda medicore but it was still long for an 64 game and the game felt incredible.

SPM maybe didn't have an RPG style battle system but the story was so epic,the game was still ok in the end.There were also lots of riddles in this game,so it wasn't boring at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3dsie View Post
You also have no clue if SS doesn't have a deep story or not, so why are you saying it isn't? Same with the battle system. Oh boo hoo, I can't use tattle anymore. Really? The Sticker System actually looks original and you are going to attack Nintendo for that before you even know if it sucks or not? Yeah, that will get them thinking of original ideas.
EDIT:Also, where the heck do we know of no badges? Haven't heard anything of the sort.
I've seen enough of this game by now.You probably didn't watch the walkthrough,yet because you didn't want to get spoiled.
Spoiler!

How come you think,that I said the battle system isn't original? I never said that and it's not about the originality of it.It's about how it doesn't involve badges,partners and FP.It's the resources and strategy.The strategy in this game is to stickers of "things" and then spam the battle spinner.
__________________
3DS FC : 0989-1800-1452
Old 11-11-2012, 02:11 AM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edum Bot View Post
TTYD had both.The whole story of the game was pieced together by each smaller story.Petalburg and Hooktail's tyrany,the X-naut invasion in The Great Tree,the Glitzville battles,Doopiss' (typo intended)curse on Twilight Town,the whole pirate island stuff,the 3 days on the Excess Express,the way to the moon and everything behind The Thousand-Year Door.It all build up over the whole game.
But the STORY of PM2 was terrible. Yes, some of the side stuff was good, but that does not make a deep story, just multiple little stories tide to one, basically episodic.

Quote:
As for PM64...the story was kinda medicore but it was still long for an 64 game and the game felt incredible.
Longer story does not make it better

Quote:
SPM maybe didn't have an RPG style battle system but the story was so epic,the game was still ok in the end.There were also lots of riddles in this game,so it wasn't boring at all.
I never called it boring, I loved SPM's gameplay.



Quote:
I've seen enough of this game by now.You probably didn't watch the walkthrough,yet because you didn't want to get spoiled.
Spoiler!
That still doesn't change the fact that no Paper Mario game has had both of the qualities of what you've said. And if you've seen the game, then what about the actual gamplay? You've had to have seen it still is a turn based RPG like the originals.

Quote:
How come you think,that I said the battle system isn't original? I never said that and it's not about the originality of it.It's about how it doesn't involve badges,partners and FP.It's the resources and strategy.The strategy in this game is to stickers of "things" and then spam the battle spinner.
The strategy is in keeping track of stickers, and saying Paper Mario games didn't have spammy attacks would be silly. Unless the game gives way too many stickers, I fail to see where no strategy is involved. EDIT: I never said that, I said the moment Nintendo does something original, people get mad. It's no wonder why they keep releasing Mario over and over, people complain if they do anything else.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.

Last edited by banjo3dsie; 11-11-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Jarinex's Avatar
Died of Aids
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,419
Default

__________________
I want my name to be Spaghetti
Old 11-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Minato Namikaze's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,610
Default

3 and a half hours for the digital people, or at least in my timezone.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Bon's Avatar
Bon Bon is offline
テキテケテキですか?
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,429
Default

PM64 and TTYD were also pathetically easy if you were remotely good at managing your badges.

The battles are just faster now. Enemies do more damage per hit, you do more damage per hit. The focus is on sticker-draining bosses and conserving your better stickers when fighting the normal enemies.



Also, guys, simplistic stories and bad stories are different. Thousand Year Door had a straight forward goal (stop an evil organization from finding a treasure before you), but the way it was handled and developed was really engaging and fun, filled with a colorful cast and tons of twists. Same with 64.

The problem with Sticker Stars story isn't the premise, but how it is more of an excuse plot than a developed one. There's like maybe 5 members of the entire cast, no little side stories per area to build it up and has a tendency to fall into the background due to almost no cutscenes. This isn't necessarily a bad thing either, but it's sort of a surprising and unwanted direction when the series was getting more story heavy with every game.

Last edited by Bon; 11-11-2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:12 AM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzy View Post
Also, guys, simplistic stories and bad stories are different. Thousand Year Door had a straight forward goal (stop an evil organization from finding a treasure before you), but the way it was handled and developed was really engaging and fun, filled with a colorful cast and tons of twists. Same with 64.
Thing is though is that for TTYD, they could've easily just grabbed one star and be done. Start searching for the princess instead of the treasure. She was contacting Mario as it was, so he would've eventually found out where she was and he could've rescued her. Then their enemies would be screwed, especially when they had no clue where half the stars even were...

That is the definition of a bad story IMHO. Side stories I already said were cool, but they do not make the story itself good.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Bon's Avatar
Bon Bon is offline
テキテケテキですか?
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,429
Default

They had no idea where to start the search, other than an evil organization searching for an ancient treasure had her. Collecting the stars would lead them directly to Peach. They didn't know the Xnauts had no clue where the other 5 were located, either.

By the time they did figure out where Peach was, they had already discovered that there was an ancient world-destroying demon involved and that sort of took priority.

You're calling the story bad for inconsistencies that don't exist.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Namikaze View Post
3 and a half hours for the digital people, or at least in my timezone.
2 and a half now for me
Old 11-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Minato Namikaze's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyall View Post
2 and a half now for me
Same, but I am not getting digital So I have to wait until the stores are open.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 AM
BMO's Avatar
BMO BMO is offline
Persona 5 never
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,469
Default

Kinda wish there was a demo because all these reviews make it sound horrible.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Namikaze View Post
Same, but I am not getting digital So I have to wait until the stores are open.
gamestops are usually open for 30 minutes at midnight when a new game releases
Old 11-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Jarinex's Avatar
Died of Aids
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMO View Post
Kinda wish there was a demo because all these reviews make it sound horrible.
>Listening to Critics
>Not judging it based on your own thoughts
>Green texting

I shall now go an hero
__________________
I want my name to be Spaghetti
Old 11-11-2012, 04:15 AM
BMO's Avatar
BMO BMO is offline
Persona 5 never
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarinex View Post
>Listening to Critics
>Not judging it based on your own thoughts
>Green texting

I shall now go an hero
well I haven't actually got to play the game myself, so I can't form a full opinion, while the reviewers who already have the game can.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Jarinex's Avatar
Died of Aids
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,419
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMO View Post
well I haven't actually got to play the game myself, so I can't form a full opinion, while the reviewers who already have the game can.
I was more pointing towards the critics and how (imo) how dumb they can be. If I listened to critics, I wouldn't have bought many games that I love (like Uprising for example)
__________________
I want my name to be Spaghetti
Old 11-11-2012, 05:07 AM
Abcdude's Avatar
( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡?)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Beach City
Posts: 4,477
Default

You can't judge a game by it's cover.

~Words to live by~
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 AM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Not to mention critics will 9 times out of 10 say a game is bad(not any in particular, I've seen it happen to a lot of games from a lot of franchises) because of repetativeness and then give CoD perfect scores.

I honestly don't use reviews anymore and just go off of let's plays to see if I'll like it.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:21 AM
DarkK's Avatar
Ex-Pony Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,427
Default

Been playing the game for an hour, and so far, it feels like the Classic Paper Mario game, with a little twist on the battle system.
__________________
Nintendo ID (Wii U): DarkKRPG
Nintendo ID (3DS): DarkK2
Old 11-11-2012, 10:05 AM
Minato Namikaze's Avatar  
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,610
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkK View Post
Been playing the game for an hour, and so far, it feels like the Classic Paper Mario game, with a little twist on the battle system.
So I am Jelly. I have to wait until I wake up and then probably another hour just to get the game :/
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Coral Springs, Florida
Posts: 24
Default

I've been waiting for this came since it was announced as PM:TTYD is my favorite game of all time and PM64 is my second favorite N64 game.
Yea, the battles are very easy. They took me only around 1 turn to beat in the first few areas as compared to two to three turns in PM64 and PM:TTYD. Like most people, I wish they had stat rewards and leveling up so they can release harder enemies and reward me for battling them. So far, the game is better than SPM in my opinion. It still is pretty fun.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 AM
DarkK's Avatar
Ex-Pony Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingno.10 View Post
I've been waiting for this came since it was announced as PM:TTYD is my favorite game of all time and PM64 is my second favorite N64 game.
Yea, the battles are very easy. They took me only around 1 turn to beat in the first few areas as compared to two to three turns in PM64 and PM:TTYD. Like most people, I wish they had stat rewards and leveling up so they can release harder enemies and reward me for battling them. So far, the game is better than SPM in my opinion. It still is pretty fun.
Just you wait until you reach the boss fights....

In my opinion: The Thousand Year Door > Paper Mario > Sticker Star > Super Mario RPG (just throwing it in there, no particular order) > Mario & Luigi 2 (same as RPG) > Pokemon > Super. Super Paper Mario SUCKS.
__________________
Nintendo ID (Wii U): DarkKRPG
Nintendo ID (3DS): DarkK2
Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 AM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkK View Post
Just you wait until you reach the boss fights....

In my opinion: The Thousand Year Door > Paper Mario > Sticker Star > Super Mario RPG (just throwing it in there, no particular order) > Mario & Luigi 2 (same as RPG) > Pokemon > Super. Super Paper Mario SUCKS.
Wait, so you are organizing RPGS, and then put Super Paper Mario in there? Ok then...
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 AM
DarkK's Avatar
Ex-Pony Rider
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,427
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3dsie View Post
Wait, so you are organizing RPGS, and then put Super Paper Mario in there? Ok then...
Nope, I was organizing the Paper Mario series in order of how much I liked them. I threw in RPG, M&L2 and Pokemon right before Super just so you can tell how much I despise Super.
__________________
Nintendo ID (Wii U): DarkKRPG
Nintendo ID (3DS): DarkK2
Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 AM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkK View Post
Nope, I was organizing the Paper Mario series in order of how much I liked them. I threw in RPG, M&L2 and Pokemon right before Super just so you can tell how much I despise Super.
Ah. All right then.
Enjoyed Super quite a lot.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.