Nintendo 3DS Forums
Go Back   Nintendo 3DS Forums > Gaming > Nintendo 3DS > Questions & Answers

Questions & Answers Having technical issues with your Nintendo 3DS? Confused about a particular feature? Get your questions answered here!

[Unanswered] Will this effect the 3ds?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 AM
brittlee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA/FL
Posts: 90
Red face Will this effect the 3ds?

Well, seeing as how I just got my 3ds in June, i've been taking extremely good care of it. Even though two years from now, i'm still going to be handling it with care. Wiping fingerprints off, keeping it shiny, keeping a protective bubblewrap between both screens..etc. But i was wondering, If it isn't charged, and I leave it off for a month, will that have a negative effect on my DS? Of course I could charge it then turn it back off but over time i assume it would die without being played. Thats why I wonder if it would harm my DS not to play it for awhile. Because i'm waiting for X and Y to come out in about a month and a half. I've already beat Black 2. (Which answers my following post, I caved and bought it lol) But anyways I just wanted to know if my DS would be alright if it wasn't played for around a month. Im the cautious type. Thanks everyone
__________________
The important thing is not how long you live, it's what you accomplish with your life. - Grovyle
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 AM
MimisMan's Avatar
LoZ is Love, LoZ is Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Macedonia,Greece
Posts: 1,118
Default

Hahahaha. I love the way you talk about your DS as if it was your child or something. Well, not playing and not charging a console will surely affect its battery at some point but there is no need to worry. One thing that Nintendo consoles are known for is how well they can beat time and misshandling. Seriously, especially my GBA SP. I have that thing for about 10 years, I have dropped it countless times, I have played it to a pulp and I haven't used it for periods longer than one year without charging and it's still fine. The battery life has been reduced but the difference isn't that big. It can still last for about 3 hours.

About my DS now... I have really treated my DS badly. I mean, I have ****in seperated it in two... but it still plays fine. I haven't charged it once for the past 2 years (since I got my 3DS) but a week ago that I used it again to play some Kirby Mass Attack it was alright.

So worry not my friend, your precious DS will be just fine...
__________________
You 've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?...
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM
brittlee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA/FL
Posts: 90
Default

Lol thanks for letting me know, Its just because the 3ds system is different than the past DS systems so I wasnt sure. Of course, my DS is somewhat as special as a child would be atm. Since i really wanted one im still proud of it. I didn't realize how odd that seemed until now lol. But about your DS, how did you separate it?
__________________
The important thing is not how long you live, it's what you accomplish with your life. - Grovyle
Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM
MimisMan's Avatar
LoZ is Love, LoZ is Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Macedonia,Greece
Posts: 1,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittlee View Post
Lol thanks for letting me know, Its just because the 3ds system is different than the past DS systems so I wasnt sure. Of course, my DS is somewhat as special as a child would be atm. Since i really wanted one im still proud of it. I didn't realize how odd that seemed until now lol. But about your DS, how did you separate it?
Like this! BOOOOOM!



I have no regrets!
__________________
You 've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?...
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Sleepless's Avatar
President Evil
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 44
Default

Good question.
MimisMan is right about the robustness of Nintys.
I use these rules to take care of my RC plane batteries, 3ds batteries are similar so try these rules if you want to be really careful, only some of these rules are applicable though.
Still:
http://www.rctoys.com/pr/2007/09/25/...o-care-lipoly/

Hope that helps
__________________
Nemesis Code: 1349 - 5490 - 3181
Steam Name: Ghost Lolly - You will find a Nathan McCormick
Old 08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
KittenKoder's Avatar
I Am No One Else
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 319
Default

Well, not playing them will not kill them. The rechargeable batteries in devices do actually last longer if not charged at all, lithium batteries have that benefit. Actually, to improve the life of the battery it's recommended you discharge completely, as in completely dead, before charging it. The older rechargeable batteries were like that, I don't think the newer ones suffer from this anymore. The system itself doesn't care either way.

"Bubble wrap between the screens" seems a bit .... less protective than screen protectors. So i would recommend ditching it and getting the protectors. Bubble wrap still has friction, and friction will create scratches on the screens eventually. Wiping it off a lot will also do that, not only for the screens but the case as well, micro-scratches are not visible right away but after they build up it will dull anything. They make these cool soft plastic covers that cover everything now, but I have only seen them online. I have one, it's wonderful, even keeps dust from the buttons. The open spots are all inconsequential except one, the analog stick is open on the cover because there's no sane way to cover that while playing it.

I have a wrist strap for my 3DS as well, the new placement of the bars for these is perfect for a wrist strap. I recommend it if you take it with you a lot, reduces the chance of damage from dropping. Which is the real danger of a handheld system, and the biggest killer of them as well. You can use any of the phone straps, or a clip that fits into the bars' recesses. I have a necklace one for my DSLite, the bar placement on it makes wrist ones difficult, and yes, my DSLite is in almost perfect condition, other than the serial number sticker fraying from skin oils and heat, I put tape over it to increase the lifespan of the sticker but that's just as bad as having no sticker there at all really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimisMan View Post
Like this! BOOOOOM!



I have no regrets!
Your poor DSLite! Stop tech abuse!
__________________
Life is art, and art is the universe.
FC - 3497 0224 3414
Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Sleepless's Avatar
President Evil
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 44
Default

Ah i thought the 3DS had a lipo battery, my bad, listen to KittenKoder.
Come to think of it Lithium makes more sense, much less dangerous XD
__________________
Nemesis Code: 1349 - 5490 - 3181
Steam Name: Ghost Lolly - You will find a Nathan McCormick
Old 08-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IL, USA
Posts: 1,072
Default

Generally when something is powered down, nothing happens to it, certainly nothing bad.

If you are asking, does the battery slowly lose its charge if the unit sits around for a long time, even turned off, the answer is yes because it's never completely off, it still maintains the system clock and watches for a press of the power button. But even if the battery goes dead completely for reals, all you have to do it plug in the charger, turn it on, and fix the clock.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 AM
KittenKoder's Avatar
I Am No One Else
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
Ah i thought the 3DS had a lipo battery, my bad, listen to KittenKoder.
Come to think of it Lithium makes more sense, much less dangerous XD
I did a LOT of research into the system before buying it, I'm one of "those" consumers. lol I even know that Nintendo has stated it can tolerate about 500 charges before the battery life begins to decline, however, after that it will still take years to completely die. No exact time is given, not even an estimation, but that makes sense, the lifespan of anything can be influenced by so many factors it's virtually an unknown.

One a side note, lithium ion technology has come a long way, I use to avoid anything that had internal batteries when possible because of how bad they use to be. Now I love it, as long as a charger is easy to replace. My DS Lite is almost a decade old, but still holds a charge for at least 6 hours of constant play. That's using the built in speakers at full volume and brightness turned up all the way. I have the brightness on my 3DSXL turned down about half, makes the 3D better for some reason anyway, and I get at least 8 hours of solid play time before charging. Again that's with built in speakers and volume to max, I don't like headphones much.
__________________
Life is art, and art is the universe.
FC - 3497 0224 3414
Old 08-30-2013, 12:46 PM
brittlee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: USA/FL
Posts: 90
Default

Well, when I say bubblewrap, I mean the thin foam cover that came with it lol. It folds in half, because well, it was once the cover the full DS came in. I switched to using it instead. So i keep the instruction booklet plastic cover in the middle of the two foam pieces for extra layers, not too bulky. And then put it between my DS. The plastic isnt touching the screens. Only the foam is. I just cant deal with lines of death or dust. fingerprints. agh it drives me nuts. Same with my phone lol. Im a nutball.c: Anyways , I did look at the RC toys link. Its ironic how it said "If you plan on storing it for 1 month or more"- But I don't get what a lipobag is lol. And lithium batteries, they all confuse me. I dont understand how any of these things work honestly. All I know is i try keeping everything in brand new condition. And Kitten, ill definitely look into those cover things you mention. Even if that means ordering offline. The main reason I came into worrying though, is because I hadnt played my DS lite for, well. Im guessing around 6 months. I kept it in good condition when i first got it, then ended up dropping it a billion times. It was fine. But in those 6 months it was kept in its case, one day i turned it on and the whole top screen was fuzzy and blurred, only the bottom worked. Thats what caused me to get a new DS, then i learned about the 3DS and got it instead. It would clear then get fuzzy and hopelessly blurred again, I couldnt understand it. But as for the battery life on it ill admit it was still really good. And ive had my Ds lite for around 6-7 years as well. Oh that thing could go like 1 to 2 days without needing charging. Which is one prospect of the 3DS that made me think, "...wait is this thing broken?" lol but yeah the graphics and everything. it only makes sense as to why the battery doesnt last as long. Ah Im sorry for such a long rambling response guys, but that poor DS, mimi, I've had the urge to do that so many times xD
__________________
The important thing is not how long you live, it's what you accomplish with your life. - Grovyle
Old 08-31-2013, 09:27 AM
KittenKoder's Avatar
I Am No One Else
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittlee View Post
Well, when I say bubblewrap, I mean the thin foam cover that came with it lol. It folds in half, because well, it was once the cover the full DS came in. I switched to using it instead. So i keep the instruction booklet plastic cover in the middle of the two foam pieces for extra layers, not too bulky. And then put it between my DS. The plastic isnt touching the screens. Only the foam is. I just cant deal with lines of death or dust. fingerprints. agh it drives me nuts. Same with my phone lol. Im a nutball.c: Anyways , I did look at the RC toys link. Its ironic how it said "If you plan on storing it for 1 month or more"- But I don't get what a lipobag is lol. And lithium batteries, they all confuse me. I dont understand how any of these things work honestly. All I know is i try keeping everything in brand new condition. And Kitten, ill definitely look into those cover things you mention. Even if that means ordering offline. The main reason I came into worrying though, is because I hadnt played my DS lite for, well. Im guessing around 6 months. I kept it in good condition when i first got it, then ended up dropping it a billion times. It was fine. But in those 6 months it was kept in its case, one day i turned it on and the whole top screen was fuzzy and blurred, only the bottom worked. Thats what caused me to get a new DS, then i learned about the 3DS and got it instead. It would clear then get fuzzy and hopelessly blurred again, I couldnt understand it. But as for the battery life on it ill admit it was still really good. And ive had my Ds lite for around 6-7 years as well. Oh that thing could go like 1 to 2 days without needing charging. Which is one prospect of the 3DS that made me think, "...wait is this thing broken?" lol but yeah the graphics and everything. it only makes sense as to why the battery doesnt last as long. Ah Im sorry for such a long rambling response guys, but that poor DS, mimi, I've had the urge to do that so many times xD
For the battery, it's not the same type of battery as the RC ones.

For the screens, it's actually why I don't like single screen touch systems like phones or iPads, double screen, one with touch the other not, I can deal with and even love. I can't stand fingerprints in my main screen, even dust, and I'm constantly cleaning it, thus .... screen protectors. Decent screen protectors only cost like $2. They're worth it.
__________________
Life is art, and art is the universe.
FC - 3497 0224 3414