Nintendo 3DS Forums

Pok?mon 3DS Games General Discuss Pok?mon X and Y as well as other 3DS Pok?mon games.

Am I The Only One?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Adam3000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 308
Default Am I The Only One?

I've been a huge Pok?mon fan since Gen III, and I've had at least one game from every generation since (Diamond, SoulSilver, Black, Y)

And I'm wondering if it's only me or not, that finds X/Y to be incredibly easy?

I mean, I've only had the game a day and most of my Pok?mon are on their second and third evolutions and all of my Pok?mon are at least level 21, and I only have one gym badge. Even in SoulSilver, I have TEN gym badges and my team isn't that well rounded. Only my starter and Lugia are past level 30 (Level 70 and level 67 respectfully).

I blame the Exp. Share, since now it shares points across the entire team, opposed to one selected Pok?mon.

I have since turned the Exp. Share off, but I fear the next boss battle will be a cake walk since all of my Pok?mon are in the 20s.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Pokemon games have never been hard.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Alfnerd's Avatar
of Rivea
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Pancake
Posts: 792
Default

They just seemed hard when you were a kid
__________________
If you want to get a hold of me, add my steam (Alfnerd) or Discord (Hunter K#7103)!
Old 03-15-2014, 07:39 PM
norway's Avatar
ORAS was alright
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Twitter
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfnerd66 View Post
They just seemed hard when you were a kid
Nah, they seems to be easier now.

It took me ONE(1) Ultraball to catch yveltal.
Or maybe i was just lucky with that
__________________
Twitter = @TheGamecubeGuy
I'm always active
Old 03-15-2014, 07:50 PM
Lumy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway View Post
Nah, they seems to be easier now.

It took me ONE(1) Ultraball to catch yveltal.
Or maybe i was just lucky with that
No. Yveltal and Xerneas really are that easy to catch. Their catch rates are higher than some wild Pokemon

Last edited by Lumy; 03-15-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:53 PM
norway's Avatar
ORAS was alright
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Twitter
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
No. Yveltal and Xerneas really are that easy to catch. There catch rates are lower than some wild Pokemon
How does that make any sense?
__________________
Twitter = @TheGamecubeGuy
I'm always active
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM
MimisMan's Avatar
LoZ is Love, LoZ is Life
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Macedonia,Greece
Posts: 1,118
Default

well, I cought my Yveltal with 1 Greatball, not even Ultraball.
you also have the all-party exp.share that reduces grinding a lot.
and in my opinion the elite four and the champion were pretty easy (except for that steel guy)
__________________
You 've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Not sure what capture rate has to do with difficulty. It's just throwing Pokeballs until the RNG favors you.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Yuoke's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,541
Default

First of all, capture rate has nothing to do with difficulty. Spamming throwing pokeballs over and over again isnt hard, just tedious. Same with regards to grinding up/exp share and that stuff. The only thing that is objectively harder in the main game is the fact gym leaders have no more than 3 pokemon, and the elite 4 have no more than 4. Everything else hasnt changed at all.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:44 PM
Nedcone's Avatar
Alea iacta est
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: I'm wherever you are
Posts: 1,199
Default

Well, in reality, Pokemon games can't be determined by difficulty because of the variety of choices you have. Which Pokemon you use, items, exp share, grinding, trainers you avoid, sky battles you can/can't do, whether you evolve your Pokemon, etc. There are too many factors to truly compare Pokemon games and their difficulty levels. What's easy for one, may be hard for another (This doesn't even take into account age, experience, and the RNG). So all we can say is that the Pokemon games, overall, are on similar levels of ease/difficulty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam3000 View Post
I've been a huge Pok?mon fan since Gen III, and I've had at least one game from every generation since (Diamond, SoulSilver, Black, Y)

And I'm wondering if it's only me or not, that finds X/Y to be incredibly easy?

I mean, I've only had the game a day and most of my Pok?mon are on their second and third evolutions and all of my Pok?mon are at least level 21, and I only have one gym badge. Even in SoulSilver, I have TEN gym badges and my team isn't that well rounded. Only my starter and Lugia are past level 30 (Level 70 and level 67 respectfully).

I blame the Exp. Share, since now it shares points across the entire team, opposed to one selected Pok?mon.

I have since turned the Exp. Share off, but I fear the next boss battle will be a cake walk since all of my Pok?mon are in the 20s.
You even said it yourself, your use of the exp share has created a situation where your Pokemon, regardless of typing, will have an edge because of extra experience they are given. Thus the game is made easier than a person who did not use it.
__________________
Because you can't have a cone without a little Ned

Last edited by Nedcone; 03-15-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Lumy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
Not sure what capture rate has to do with difficulty. It's just throwing Pokeballs until the RNG favors you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
First of all, capture rate has nothing to do with difficulty. Spamming throwing pokeballs over and over again isnt hard, just tedious. Same with regards to grinding up/exp share and that stuff. The only thing that is objectively harder in the main game is the fact gym leaders have no more than 3 pokemon, and the elite 4 have no more than 4. Everything else hasnt changed at all.

I'm fairly certain catch rate and RNG do play a role in the effective difficulty of the games.

It is certainly known that some Pokemon are definitely superior to other Pokemon, and when these Pokemon are designed to be just as easy to catch or obtain, then you're effectively providing quick shortcuts to overcome stronger opponents.

The whole "chucking Pokeballs until it works" argument only works when you have an infinite supply of them. If you enter a battle unprepared, then you are at high risk of not catching the desired Pokemon since catch rate is so low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norway View Post
How does that make any sense?
I actually meant their catch rates are higher than some wild Pokemon, so they're supposed to be easy to catch. I caught mine with a Pokeball at around 25% HP
Old 03-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Noddles's Avatar
Touch Miles
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,710
Default

It was a lot easier, the trainers, gyms, and bosses were all jokes
Old 03-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Adam3000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 308
Default

I caught Mewtwo in SoulSilver with a normal Pok?ball, believe it or not.

I usually swing through Pokemon games with only two strong Pokemon, my starter, and the legendary. The rest I catch for the Dex, and some naturally are stronger than others.

So if you ever were to face me in the older Pokemons, you'd notice that I'd have four Pisa weak Pokemon, but two really strong ones.

Now the Exp Share is making it easier.

But not so easy. I'm too cheap to buy the Bank, so I get transfer my dark Arceus.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam3000 View Post
I caught Mewtwo in SoulSilver with a normal Pok?ball, believe it or not.

I usually swing through Pokemon games with only two strong Pokemon, my starter, and the legendary. The rest I catch for the Dex, and some naturally are stronger than others.

So if you ever were to face me in the older Pokemons, you'd notice that I'd have four Pisa weak Pokemon, but two really strong ones.

Now the Exp Share is making it easier.

But not so easy. I'm too cheap to buy the Bank, so I get transfer my dark Arceus.
Why didn't you download pokemon bank while it was free?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
The whole "chucking Pokeballs until it works" argument only works when you have an infinite supply of them. If you enter a battle unprepared, then you are at high risk of not catching the desired Pokemon since catch rate is so low.
Statistically that statement doesn't make sense. The game gives you the money to buy more than enough Pokeballs anyway.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 PM
Adam3000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 308
Default

I didn't have the game when Bank was free.

Quite frankly, I'm not gonna pay $6.50 yearly for something I use to do for free.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Yuoke's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
I'm fairly certain catch rate and RNG do play a role in the effective difficulty of the games.

It is certainly known that some Pokemon are definitely superior to other Pokemon, and when these Pokemon are designed to be just as easy to catch or obtain, then you're effectively providing quick shortcuts to overcome stronger opponents.

The whole "chucking Pokeballs until it works" argument only works when you have an infinite supply of them. If you enter a battle unprepared, then you are at high risk of not catching the desired Pokemon since catch rate is so low.



I actually meant their catch rates are higher than some wild Pokemon, so they're supposed to be easy to catch. I caught mine with a Pokeball at around 25% HP
Your point would be valid if the game didnt hand you money and pokeballs.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Lumy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
Statistically that statement doesn't make sense. The game gives you the money to buy more than enough Pokeballs anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
Your point would be valid if the game didnt hand you money and pokeballs.
Right. So you guys have a problem with the pricing of items and the ease of obtaining funds. My argument is that if you enter a battle with a few amount of Pokeballs, you're at high risk of catching certain Pokemon unless you use a Master ball.

With that in mind, you technically have enough funds to always have more than enough Revives, Potions, and Full Heals on hand. This still doesn't mean that if you enter a battle without a sufficient amount of Pokeballs, that you're guaranteed to catch every Pokemon. Or if you enter a trainer battle with weak Pokemon and no healing items, that you're able to pull through and win.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:39 PM
SRT's Avatar
SRT SRT is offline
Always looking for his package
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

The way I see it, Exp. Share encourages players who might normally use only their starter or a couple of Pokemon to further enjoy the game by making their whole team viable in battle and giving them the opportunity to try out different Pokemon without fear of them remaining vastly underlevelled. For me, grinding and ensuring my team remains at a balanced level is tedium that I could do without. While the addition of the Exp. Share could potentially lead to an easier main game (which could be rectified if they bothered balancing enemy trainers in accordance), it's more enjoyable due to allowing more team-building flexibility in the main game and cutting out grind time.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:06 PM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
Right. So you guys have a problem with the pricing of items and the ease of obtaining funds. My argument is that if you enter a battle with a few amount of Pokeballs, you're at high risk of catching certain Pokemon unless you use a Master ball.
No, I don't have a problem with pricing since catch rate has nothing to do with difficulty. Catch rate could be 100% and the game wouldn't be easier because in each area the wild Pokemon are lower leveled than trainer-owned Pokemon.

Unrelated, I wonder why they got rid of the scaled experience system from Gen V. I thought it worked pretty well.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 AM
Yuoke's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
Right. So you guys have a problem with the pricing of items and the ease of obtaining funds. My argument is that if you enter a battle with a few amount of Pokeballs, you're at high risk of catching certain Pokemon unless you use a Master ball.

With that in mind, you technically have enough funds to always have more than enough Revives, Potions, and Full Heals on hand. This still doesn't mean that if you enter a battle without a sufficient amount of Pokeballs, that you're guaranteed to catch every Pokemon. Or if you enter a trainer battle with weak Pokemon and no healing items, that you're able to pull through and win.
That still doesnt explain at all how catching a pokemon relates to difficulty. You knock its health down-easy, you maybe inflict a status ailment to it-easy, you throw pokeballs until you catch it. There is no difficulty there .
Old 03-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Lumy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 6,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
That still doesnt explain at all how catching a pokemon relates to difficulty. You knock its health down-easy, you maybe inflict a status ailment to it-easy, you throw pokeballs until you catch it. There is no difficulty there .
Catching Pokemon is the primary method of obtaining more Pokemon. If good Pokemon, in general, are hard to obtain due to low capture rates, then there's your difficulty. Assuming that resources are limited and that you're carrying only a few Pokeballs at any one time, then I can't see how difficulty is in any not playing a role here in the whole scope of things.

I understand that being able to carry 99 of multiple types of Pokeballs pretty much negates this, but let's be real here - Most people don't carry that much during the game unless they plan on completing the game's primary Dex before defeating the Champion.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
Catching Pokemon is the primary method of obtaining more Pokemon. If good Pokemon, in general, are hard to obtain due to low capture rates, then there's your difficulty. Assuming that resources are limited and that you're carrying only a few Pokeballs at any one time, then I can't see how difficulty is in any not playing a role here in the whole scope of things.
The game is easily beatable using only your starter and a couple HM slaves so any difficulty here is self-made, really.
You're not required to capture good Pokemon.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Yuoke's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimmis View Post
Catching Pokemon is the primary method of obtaining more Pokemon. If good Pokemon, in general, are hard to obtain due to low capture rates, then there's your difficulty. Assuming that resources are limited and that you're carrying only a few Pokeballs at any one time, then I can't see how difficulty is in any not playing a role here in the whole scope of things.

I understand that being able to carry 99 of multiple types of Pokeballs pretty much negates this, but let's be real here - Most people don't carry that much during the game unless they plan on completing the game's primary Dex before defeating the Champion.
Almost no regular pokemon is that hard to capture at all, especially now that there is the false swipe tm, usually found early in the games. Also, I think a lot of people do carry a lot of pokeballs on hand just in case for shinies, which has been since gen 2. Just the fact that anyone can easily have at any time that many pokeballs makes the whole point of pokemon being hard to catch not really there.

It does seem like pretty much most of these "difficulties" are a self made by the player. The gamefreak has just made things a lot more convenient and given people choices as to how they want to play the games. They do things like this every gen, like in bw2 adding in autorepel. That didnt makes things easier, just less tedious.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Default

Well I find it a bit easy actually.

Because:

Starters popping up like Rattata in Wonder Trade (Its good for people who are just starting to play X and Y.)

Leveling up is EASY thanks to Pokemon Amie.

EV Training is easy, we now have less need of those expensive vitamins.

Walking is faster (thank you roller blades XD)

and lastly, let us not forget the Exp share. Before only ONE can have but now the whole party can have Exps so leveling up is a piece of cake. :3
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Huntsman06's Avatar
Cosmic Destruction
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: inside 4 walls, and a ceiling.
Posts: 748
Default

I too think that X and Y seems much easier than previous titles, for the wrong reasons. EXP share, EV Training, Leveling, Earning Money, are all very easy to do. The easy fix is to just not do it the "right way". Don't want to level up easy w/ EXP Share? Then don't turn it on.

No I find it easy because the game doesn't make you really try and figure anything out. I remember vividly in Fire Red spending many hours back tracking because there was that one random NPC who gives you some HM or triggers some event that you absolutely have to do. In X and Y, however, anything of the nature that you absolutely MUST do is given to you on a silver platter.

Beat the gym, now to find surf and set sai---oh what's that? Oh thanks for not letting me leave the city w/o giving me surf AND a Lapras so I can continue onward immediately.

The games used to tell you to talk to every NPC, something which is not a bad idea today as well, but it was because some "optional" conversations between you and another character would be the difference between being able to continue onward, or being prevented from continuing. Now, those "optional" conversations are forced upon you (in a similar way that a cutscene would function for other games) so you literally are unable to miss it.
__________________
3DS XL FC: 3179 - 7400 - 7105
The Original Dark - Umbreon
Old 05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman06 View Post
I too think that X and Y seems much easier than previous titles, for the wrong reasons. EXP share, EV Training, Leveling, Earning Money, are all very easy to do. The easy fix is to just not do it the "right way". Don't want to level up easy w/ EXP Share? Then don't turn it on.

No I find it easy because the game doesn't make you really try and figure anything out. I remember vividly in Fire Red spending many hours back tracking because there was that one random NPC who gives you some HM or triggers some event that you absolutely have to do. In X and Y, however, anything of the nature that you absolutely MUST do is given to you on a silver platter.

Beat the gym, now to find surf and set sai---oh what's that? Oh thanks for not letting me leave the city w/o giving me surf AND a Lapras so I can continue onward immediately.

The games used to tell you to talk to every NPC, something which is not a bad idea today as well, but it was because some "optional" conversations between you and another character would be the difference between being able to continue onward, or being prevented from continuing. Now, those "optional" conversations are forced upon you (in a similar way that a cutscene would function for other games) so you literally are unable to miss it.
Not a Gen Hater here, but that is also one of the factors. Remember that thirsty guard that refuses to let you pass? If I remember correctly you had to talk to NPCs and get something etc.

Aaand you have to go around town and cities to solve mysteries to continue, not just beat Gym Leaders. And the only thing thats following you (or should I say you're following) is Gary Oak.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM
raney150's Avatar  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 5,326
Default

If it wasn't for the experience share, then this elite 4 and champion would be a lot tougher than some past ones.