Nintendo 3DS Forums
Go Back   Nintendo 3DS Forums > Gaming > Nintendo 3DS Games

Nintendo 3DS Games Talk about the games on the Nintendo 3DS.

GBA not on 3DS.......but on Wii U???
Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: India.
Posts: 101
Default GBA not on 3DS.......but on Wii U???

I don't get the idea of this whole thing. Portable games are shifted to console exclusive. What's the point of that? Its not going to improve the sales of the Wii U and if anything, Nintendo can port N64, Dreamcast and Gamecube games and people will be fine with that. But why GBA on Wii U instead of 3DS??????
Old 04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Calman's Avatar
Scrub of the year.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 534
Default

Because they promised it a while back.
__________________
Follow me on Miiverse:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:59 PM
troj27's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: England, Essex
Posts: 704
Default

I do agree that gba should be on 3ds instead, but still great news anyways, I reckon eventually they will come to 3ds
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM
norway's Avatar
ORAS was alright
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Twitter
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwark View Post
I don't get the idea of this whole thing. Portable games are shifted to console exclusive. What's the point of that? Its not going to improve the sales of the Wii U and if anything, Nintendo can port N64, Dreamcast and Gamecube games and people will be fine with that. But why GBA on Wii U instead of 3DS??????
How could nintendo port dreamcast games to their console?
__________________
Twitter = @TheGamecubeGuy
I'm always active
Old 04-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Yanikun's Avatar
A Pingi of Mars
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 4,233
Default

GBA emulation requires more power than you think.

If you have the ambassador games, you'll notice that none of the usual features of the Virtual Console (like suspending the game for example) are available on GBA games. That's because the games are not emulated, they are played in DS mode.

So it's not possible with the current 3DS hardware to offer Virtual Console GBA games. They worked around the constraints of the system as a unique gift to ambassadors, but it was a special case, they're not going to do that with everything. The Wii U has the power to handle GBA emulation and it has the GamePad screen to display them; it's a perfectly good system for GBA emulation.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:47 PM
Helicoprion's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Underwater
Posts: 791
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanikun View Post
GBA emulation requires more power than you think.

If you have the ambassador games, you'll notice that none of the usual features of the Virtual Console (like suspending the game for example) are available on GBA games. That's because the games are not emulated, they are played in DS mode.

So it's not possible with the current 3DS hardware to offer Virtual Console GBA games. They worked around the constraints of the system as a unique gift to ambassadors, but it was a special case, they're not going to do that with everything. The Wii U has the power to handle GBA emulation and it has the GamePad screen to display them; it's a perfectly good system for GBA emulation.
Sadly, I think you are right. That would explain why they never updated the GBA Ambassador games the way they updated the NES ones several months later.

It would be nice to see them released as 3D Classics the way Sega has released 16-bit Genesis/Mega Drive games, however.
__________________
Long live 3DSF!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: India.
Posts: 101
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanikun View Post
GBA emulation requires more power than you think.

If you have the ambassador games, you'll notice that none of the usual features of the Virtual Console (like suspending the game for example) are available on GBA games. That's because the games are not emulated, they are played in DS mode.

So it's not possible with the current 3DS hardware to offer Virtual Console GBA games. They worked around the constraints of the system as a unique gift to ambassadors, but it was a special case, they're not going to do that with everything. The Wii U has the power to handle GBA emulation and it has the GamePad screen to display them; it's a perfectly good system for GBA emulation.
So you're saying that the 3DS isn't powerful enough to have a menu that will function exactly like the virtual console because they made it in DS mode?

Isn't it possible that they did not have the time to think about this method and then port it to the virtual console? If they didn't rush the process, I'm pretty sure that the GBA would've ended up like the virtual console.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Yanikun's Avatar
A Pingi of Mars
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Barsoom
Posts: 4,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwark View Post
So you're saying that the 3DS isn't powerful enough to have a menu that will function exactly like the virtual console because they made it in DS mode?

Isn't it possible that they did not have the time to think about this method and then port it to the virtual console? If they didn't rush the process, I'm pretty sure that the GBA would've ended up like the virtual console.
This isn't me pulling stuff out of my ass, the topic of why the GBA games are on the Wii U and not on the 3DS has come up a a few times on NeoGAF recently and that's what the people who have more expert knowledge of the hardware have explained.

But really this shouldn't come as a surprise. Here's an example of how hard it actually is to emulate games well: Ars Technica - Accuracy takes power: one man’s 3GHz quest to build a perfect SNES emulator:
Quote:
But emulating those old consoles accurately—well, that's another challenge entirely; accurate emulators may need up to 3GHz of power to faithfully recreate aging tech.
Quote:
Let's take the case of Speedy Gonzales. This is an SNES platformer with no save functionality, and it's roughly 2-3 hours long. At first glance, it appears to run fine in any emulator. Yet once you reach stage 6-1, you can quickly spot the difference between an accurate emulator and a fast one: there is a switch, required to complete the level, where the game will deadlock if a rare hardware edge case is not emulated. One can imagine the frustration of instantly losing three hours of progress and being met with an unbeatable game. Unless the software does everything in the exact same way the hardware used to, the game remains broken.
They're talking about the SNES there.

The 3DS can't emulate GBA games with the accuracy they want, simple as that. Each game on the VC comes with its own emulator, that's because if they're gonna charge people for it, the games better be perfectly emulated. This is not some one-size-fits-all homebrew app you got off the Google Play Store and installed on your phone where some games may work and some may not, some will run well and some won't.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Huntsman06's Avatar
Cosmic Destruction
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: inside 4 walls, and a ceiling.
Posts: 748
Default

I have doubts that Nintendo has not made GBA games available on 3DS simply because of the processing power required. Give a good development team long enough and you can be amazed what they can get to run on limited hardware. Personally I think that GBA virtual console games will remain a Wii U exclusive, for a while, to help boost sales. If all virtual console games were available to both the 3DS and Wii U, aside from Wii U exclusives why am I going to buy one when I already own a 3DS and either an Xbox or Playstation?

And considering that, if what you say is true, each game has its own unique emulator to play it on virtual console, it should actually (in my eyes) be easier to perfect. Most fan-made emulators are designed to try and play as many games as they can at an acceptable level. Some games will work ok, some will work fine, some may not work at all; its all about a balance. I recall vividly an Nintendo 64 emulator that was produced for 1 sole purpose: To play Mario 64. It can and will not play any other game at all, crashing immediately in most cases. Why is this significant? Because at the time of its release, N64 Emulation was a very new thing and it required an absolute monster PC to play anything. This Mario 64-only emulator was able to play Mario 64 at better speeds on lesser hardware. Now nobody uses that particular emulator anymore because the others have since caught up and passed it in their development.

My point is that Nintendo should be able to produce a basic emulator framework that they can then build off of to properly construct the perfect emulator for each individual game. Some games will behave just broken and possibly will have to have their own emulator made from scratch. Others will behave identical to one another and could only require tiny changes from another game's emulator to function properly. Take Pokemon for example, do you think a Fire Red emulator wouldn't be able to play (say) Emerald? Possibly not without any sort of revision, but they're so similar that Nintendo could use much of the original source code from a Fire Red Emulator to create a perfect Pokemon Emerald Emulator.


No I don't think the 3DS isn't seeing GBA titles because of any hardware or software limitations. This is all because Nintendo needs a way to boost Wii U sales. The 3DS is a successful handheld device in terms of sales. The Wii U is turning out to be almost a failure; its been on the market since November of 2012 and now, April of 2014, Sony's PS4 is on a steady course to move more units this year than the Wii U has in total.
__________________
3DS XL FC: 3179 - 7400 - 7105
The Original Dark - Umbreon

Last edited by Huntsman06; 04-01-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Calman's Avatar
Scrub of the year.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 534
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman06 View Post
I have doubts that Nintendo has not made GBA games available on 3DS simply because of the processing power required. Give a good development team long enough and you can be amazed what they can get to run on limited hardware. Personally I think that GBA virtual console games will remain a Wii U exclusive, for a while, to help boost sales. If all virtual console games were available to both the 3DS and Wii U, aside from Wii U exclusives why am I going to buy one when I already own a 3DS and either an Xbox or Playstation?

And considering that, if what you say is true, each game has its own unique emulator to play it on virtual console, it should actually (in my eyes) be easier to perfect. Most fan-made emulators are designed to try and play as many games as they can at an acceptable level. Some games will work ok, some will work fine, some may not work at all; its all about a balance. I recall vividly an Nintendo 64 emulator that was produced for 1 sole purpose: To play Mario 64. It can and will not play any other game at all, crashing immediately in most cases. Why is this significant? Because at the time of its release, N64 Emulation was a very new thing and it required an absolute monster PC to play anything. This Mario 64-only emulator was able to play Mario 64 at better speeds on lesser hardware. Now nobody uses that particular emulator anymore because the others have since caught up and passed it in their development.

My point is that Nintendo should be able to produce a basic emulator framework that they can then build off of to properly construct the perfect emulator for each individual game. Some games will behave just broken and possibly will have to have their own emulator made from scratch. Others will behave identical to one another and could only require tiny changes from another game's emulator to function properly. Take Pokemon for example, do you think a Fire Red emulator wouldn't be able to play (say) Emerald? Possibly not without any sort of revision, but they're so similar that Nintendo could use much of the original source code from a Fire Red Emulator to create a perfect Pokemon Emerald Emulator.


No I don't think the 3DS isn't seeing GBA titles because of any hardware or software limitations. This is all because Nintendo needs a way to boost Wii U sales. The 3DS is a successful handheld device in terms of sales. The Wii U is turning out to be almost a failure; its been on the market since November of 2012 and now, April of 2014, Sony's PS4 is on a steady course to move more units this year than the Wii U has in total.
Sorry, but I agree with Yanikun. He presented a logical argument that makes sense. You're reasoning is invalid, because at the time of releasing the GBA games on the 3DS, the Wii U wasn't even released, let alone struggling. If they could release GBA VC games on the 3DS, they would have at least done it then. The Wii U struggling may be a contributing factor, but I still agree with Yanikun.
__________________
Follow me on Miiverse:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman06 View Post
This is all because Nintendo needs a way to boost Wii U sales.
But who would buy a Wii U for GBA games? Why not just get a used GBA or DS in that case? It's so much cheaper.

The main thing the Wii U needs to boost sales is a bigger library of more convincing Wii U games.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:58 PM
Nedcone's Avatar
Alea iacta est
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: I'm wherever you are
Posts: 1,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanikun View Post
This isn't me pulling stuff out of my ass, the topic of why the GBA games are on the Wii U and not on the 3DS has come up a a few times on NeoGAF recently and that's what the people who have more expert knowledge of the hardware have explained.

But really this shouldn't come as a surprise. Here's an example of how hard it actually is to emulate games well: Ars Technica - Accuracy takes power: one man?s 3GHz quest to build a perfect SNES emulator:



They're talking about the SNES there.

The 3DS can't emulate GBA games with the accuracy they want, simple as that. Each game on the VC comes with its own emulator, that's because if they're gonna charge people for it, the games better be perfectly emulated. This is not some one-size-fits-all homebrew app you got off the Google Play Store and installed on your phone where some games may work and some may not, some will run well and some won't.
As a side note to this, another reason may be because of what Nintendo mentioned at the investor's meeting of how their next handheld and console will be connected, with the next handheld utilizing some Wii U infrastructure. Perhaps the Wii U e-shop will become the definitive shop in the future so as for them not to have to restart on each system every time.
__________________
Because you can't have a cone without a little Ned
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Beldomsey's Avatar
Is allergic to the sun...
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Heh... HEHEHEHHEEHHEE! (Translation: Some asylum).
Posts: 1,512
Default

Personally, I think it's because they're hoping people this decision will draw people in to buy the Wii U, kind of like coupons. People will be all like, "Hey, the Wii U's has GBA games too? TAKE MY MONEH NINTENDOOOOO!" Or, at least, that's what Nintendo wants. Also, Nintendo DID say that they weren't going to bring GBA games to the 3DS, because they wanted to give something special to the 3DS ambassadors, like me.
__________________
Check this out:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 AM
Yuoke's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 12,541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborGab View Post
But who would buy a Wii U for GBA games? Why not just get a used GBA or DS in that case? It's so much cheaper.

The main thing the Wii U needs to boost sales is a bigger library of more convincing Wii U games.
Well people that are on the fence for getting one might decide that gba games are enough to hold them over until the real games start coming out. It definitely can't hurt sales at all