Nintendo 3DS Forums

The Lounge Just feel like having a chat? Talk about anything in here that doesn't fit in other sections of the forums.

#gamergate
Old 10-17-2014, 12:22 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default #gamergate

Too Many Games and Not Enough Tricky Dicks

So this is what I got:

-Accusations spread about a game dev sleeping with prominent game "journalists" in order to get good reviews
-Concerns increase about journalistic integrity ("Gaming Journalism" is pretty much a joke to begin with but ok.). #gamergate hashtag created
-Bunch of gaming sites post articles about how "gamers" suck or something
-Angry basement-dwellers retaliate by sending death threats
-#stopgamergate hashtag created

The whole situation is such an absolute mess that I can barely figure out what the hell people are trying to accomplish. This is why no one takes the gaming community seriously.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 AM
Nedcone's Avatar
Alea iacta est
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: I'm wherever you are
Posts: 1,199
Default

What a shameful display of humans
__________________
Because you can't have a cone without a little Ned
Old 10-17-2014, 12:29 AM
SRT's Avatar
SRT SRT is offline
Always looking for his package
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

tbh the less attention this gets the better

edit: sorry, in reference to the dumb campaign in the first place. obviously people need to speak up about death threats, but it's a shame things blew up to that extent in the first place.

i can't really say i see a whole lot to discuss about it other than "people are scum", though.

Last edited by SRT; 10-17-2014 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:45 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT View Post
tbh the less attention this gets the better

edit: sorry, in reference to the dumb campaign in the first place. obviously people need to speak up about death threats, but it's a shame things blew up to that extent in the first place.
It's pretty freaking embarrassing. It looks like things are starting to wind down (I think).
I still don't completely understand how it developed into this hurricane of garbage. Someone is going to end up getting arrested and nothing good will come of this.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:15 AM
SRT's Avatar
SRT SRT is offline
Always looking for his package
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
I still don't completely understand how it developed into this hurricane of garbage.
misinformation, primarily. the whole thing was a mess from the start.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:22 AM
banjo3dsie's Avatar
No one is safe
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Everywhere and No where
Posts: 4,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
-Accusations spread about a game dev sleeping with prominent game "journalists" in order to get good reviews
Just gonna toss out that the journalist in question never reviewed the game made by the person he was in a relationship with. People just kind of assumed that was the case and didn't check.

Gonna have to agree with SRT and say its best to let this hashtag die off. Way too much negativity, generalization, and death threats(jesus christ why are people sending death threats over this) for this to be anything good.
__________________
Always buy the game first to see if you will enjoy the demo.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:13 AM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Haven't really paid attention to it. The backstory to 4chan's character Vivian James is pretty funny though.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 AM
callmeJackz's Avatar
SKG (Swag King General)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,883
Default

This is what happens when you start a leaderless movement: anyone can affiliate themselves with it and chaos ensues
__________________
DON'T! Stop me nooowww~
Old 10-17-2014, 11:38 AM
Inoperable Brain Tumor's Avatar
PSN ID: Cloroxbb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 5,418
Default

Good lord, why can't people leave that crap out of here. The 3DS forums is not a place needing to discuss this.

If you are going to devote a thread to this issue, you might want to tell those who don't know, what the actual issue is, and an actual discussion. Posting your thoughts on it, with no context...

What are YOU trying to accomplish with this thread?

My opinion: Too many idiots with computer skills, and too many weak willed morons that will follow any cause no matter how much it will hurt people. Too much anonymity. and too much hostility toward women in general. The world is a ****ty place already, and the internet is much ****tier.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:44 PM
Lexie's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 225
Default

What I don't understand is why so much hate and venom was directed at the game developer (the woman) and not nearly as much at the reviewer (the man).

Oh wait, I get it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoperable Brain Tumor View Post
The world is a ****ty place already, and the internet is much ****tier.
Sadly, too true. I'm very happy to say though that this forum is among the best that I've encountered.
__________________
FC = 2449 5977 3610
Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Noddles's Avatar
Touch Miles
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,710
Default

Someone made a stupid videogame and did a stupid thing and people blew it out of proportion. And what did we learn? Kotaku is a bad example of video game journalism?

shocking

Although Phil Fish's comments on it were worth it
Old 10-17-2014, 07:33 PM
ArtemisFlow's Avatar
Great Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 523
Default

what they claim this hashtag to be (a revolt against ****ty games journalism) is great idea but "surprisingly" the implementation is pure garbage

I hope it dies only so that people can replan an actual movement that BEGINS as a games journalism boycott and ENDS while being a games journalism boycott

I dropped out early because the whole thing is going practically nowhere and it's constantly getting derailed, agreed with Jackz about leaderless movement

oh yeah though, I'd like to thank them for at least reminding me of how bad the finnish game news site tilt is nowadays, those clickbait articles surpass Kotaku and I'm glad you guys don't have to see them
__________________
Life moves on like a conveyor belt

Last edited by ArtemisFlow; 10-17-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Riku's Avatar
Seeker of Truth
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Inaba
Posts: 3,515
Default

Pretty sure there's been people on either side making death threats and making stupid bull claims. You're going to see ****ty people who take things too far on any side of any argument. But this whole thing is just a load of nonsense. The original idea behind the thing has been completely derailed into some completely different territory and everything's just a huge load of **** now.
__________________
SRT is like the rebellious 12 year old. Confused about his sexuality, gets mad at his parents and leaves the house for a couple of hours claiming he's never coming back.

Last edited by Riku; 10-18-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoperable Brain Tumor View Post
What are YOU trying to accomplish with this thread?
I created this thread for the sole purpose of making you mad.

Mission: Accomplished.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Inoperable Brain Tumor's Avatar
PSN ID: Cloroxbb
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Eastern US
Posts: 5,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
I created this thread for the sole purpose of making you mad.

Mission: Accomplished.
Capitalized "YOU" for emphasis. Not mad at all, except at douchebags that think that it is OK to do the things that have been done, just because its a popular or successful "female" in gaming. That pisses me off.
Old 11-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Another annoying thing about #gamergate is that Christina Hoff Sommers exploited the issue and now I have people telling me that she represents "real feminism".

Give me a break.

Her ideas about gender and biological sex are half-a-century old.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:45 PM
ArtemisFlow's Avatar
Great Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 523
Default

I think people of #gamergate would make much better progress if they stopped idolizing people like Adam Baldwin who are just borderline insane gun nuts and obviously in it for the "leftist tears"

I mean cmon you told me it's not about politics, if that's so then stop listening to Baldwin because he's there only for the propaganda and he literally does nothing else

Just please

I very much understand the people who are legit concerned about journalistic transparency seeing that video game journalism is such crap these days, but if you're going to say it's about that and that only then stop sticking into the exact thing you claim you're against

This thing needs nothing but focus at this point and I don't think it's getting any, pretty much everyone is using the hashtag and it's just unorganized chaos, call me again when we have another GOOD revolt against journalism that has thought put behind it
__________________
Life moves on like a conveyor belt

Last edited by ArtemisFlow; 11-01-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

i'm surprise this video wasn't added here.

http://youtu.be/ipcWm4B3EU4

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-14-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:50 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Because that video is biased and is factually inaccurate in so many ways.

If #gamergate was actually about ethics, we would be talking about how Jeff Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot in 2007 for giving Kane & Lynch a negative review.

Gaming review sites pretty much get paid to write good reviews by big name publishers. It is the biggest issue in gaming journalism right now and yet the movement that is supposed to be all about "journalism ethics" hasn't said a single thing about it.

In fact this is what Gerstmann had to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Gerstmann
So when "GamerGate" rose up to cover over a campaign of harassment with a veneer of concern for the ethics of games journalism, it more or less set off every single disgust alarm I have. Though I'm sure some good people have been roped into this mess under this guise, the ethical concern portion of all this is largely a farce, a fallacy.
Source
Old 11-15-2014, 03:13 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
Because that video is biased and is factually inaccurate in so many ways.

If #gamergate was actually about ethics, we would be talking about how Jeff Gerstmann was fired from Gamespot in 2007 for giving Kane & Lynch a negative review.

Gaming review sites pretty much get paid to write good reviews by big name publishers. It is the biggest issue in gaming journalism right now and yet the movement that is supposed to be all about "journalism ethics" hasn't said a single thing about it.

In fact this is what Gerstmann had to say about it:


Source
how is Jeff Gerstmann relevant to GamerGate?

They've talk about it in the past and some game sites have change their policies.

Right now they're trying to change people views about gamergate (its not a hate group), by donating charities women making videos using the hashtag.

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-16-2014 at 06:18 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:52 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgamer View Post
how is Jeff Gerstmann relevant to GamerGate?

They've talk about it in the past and some game sites have change their policies.

Right now they're trying to change people views about gamergate that is not a hate group, by donating charities women making videos using the hashtag.
If #gamergate is supposedly about journalism ethics, then Jeff Gerstmann's situation would have been the first thing to be brought up as his termination a)well-known
b)demonstrates a clear violation of journalism ethics

#gamergate has never been about ethics. The fact that it even got derailed into a conversation about sexism in the first place is evidence of that.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:19 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
If #gamergate is supposedly about journalism ethics, then Jeff Gerstmann's situation would have been the first thing to be brought up as his termination a)well-known
b)demonstrates a clear violation of journalism ethics

#gamergate has never been about ethics. The fact that it even got derailed into a conversation about sexism in the first place is evidence of that.
i still don't see how he is reveleant since it happen way before gamergate started.

It has always been about ethics Brianna wu just use the situation by calling them a hate group which of course the media doesn't fact check and believe what she said. she also mentions on her twitter she doesn't have evidence about GamerGate sending her death threats.

and like said before GamerGate right now tries to donate money and stop harassment on twitter.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:43 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgamer View Post
i still don't see how he is reveleant since it happen way before gamergate started.

It has always been about ethics Brianna wu just use the situation by calling them a hate group which of course the media doesn't fact check and believe what she said. she also mentions on her twitter she doesn't have evidence about GamerGate sending her death threats.

and like said before GamerGate right now tries to donate money and stop harassment on twitter.
gamergate is an anonymous group- it has no clear leadership or long-term goals. The damage it has done so far has vastly outweighed the benefits.

If gamergate was about ethics, Anita Sarkeesian or Brianna Wu would not have entered the conversation at all. The incident that started this whole mess was a non-issue to begin with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjo3dsie View Post
Just gonna toss out that the journalist in question never reviewed the game made by the person he was in a relationship with. People just kind of assumed that was the case and didn't check.
Either way, indie developers are the last people to have any serious influence on journalistic integrity. This whole situation has been detrimental to people who actually do want to have a conversation about the gaming media. Gamergate has been an embarrassment to the entire gaming community.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:11 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
gamergate is an anonymous group- it has no clear leadership or long-term goals. The damage it has done so far has vastly outweighed the benefits.

If gamergate was about ethics, Anita Sarkeesian or Brianna Wu would not have entered the conversation at all. The incident that started this whole mess was a non-issue to begin with:
I don't know what kind of dmg GamerGate has done unless you're talking about doxxing situation which both sides were infected.

Anita has always been a topic among gamers there's a thread about her even in here. http://3dsforums.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=anita
Remember Brianna Wu attack them first so is only logical gamergaters will talk about it on twitter. i've seen the live streams and twitter and people just mock. but now GamerGate doesn't even talk about them anymore.

Added after 21 Hours 38 minutes:

This is a great article.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/201...ear-gamergate/

here's a quote
Quote:
What’s more is that there has yet to be definitive proof of #GamerGate actually being responsible for physically driving women out of the tech and gaming industry. Purporting false allegations as truth without any evidence is scandalmongering.

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-16-2014 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:58 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgamer View Post
I don't know what kind of dmg GamerGate has done unless you're talking about doxxing situation which both sides were infected.

Anita has always been a topic among gamers there's a thread about her even in here. http://3dsforums.com/showthread.php?...ighlight=anita
Remember Brianna Wu attack them first so is only logical gamergaters will talk about it on twitter. i've seen the live streams and twitter and people just mock. but now GamerGate doesn't even talk about them anymore.

Added after 21 Hours 38 minutes:

This is a great article.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/201...ear-gamergate/

here's a quote
This is a gaming forum of course there's threads about Anita Sarkeesian on here.

However, what she does has absolutely NOTHING to do with gaming journalism.

Brianna Wu is a huge critic of #gamergate. Criticism is not an "attack". An attack is sending someone death threats and posting their personal information online.

#gamergate was a huge waste of time and the sooner we forget about it the better.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:26 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
This is a gaming forum of course there's threads about Anita Sarkeesian on here.

However, what she does has absolutely NOTHING to do with gaming journalism.

Brianna Wu is a huge critic of #gamergate. Criticism is not an "attack". An attack is sending someone death threats and posting their personal information online.

#gamergate was a huge waste of time and the sooner we forget about it the better.
You do know GamerGate is a group of gamers meaning they're gonna talk about her, but like i said before nobody is mentioning anything about her anymore.

Kinda odd a 3ds forum is aloud to talk about her but not GamerGate, there is a forum of GamerGate as well so i guess they're allow to talk about her again.

Brianna Wu thinks everyone is attacking her have you seen this video :P
[/QUOTE]

GamerGate is actually becoming more popular and is growing. The more people criticize it the more attention it gets. And so many facts you can fine on Youtube.

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-16-2014 at 06:39 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

1) gamergate discussion is "aloud". No one is banning gamergate discussion. I was the one who made this thread in the first place.

2) The title of the interview is purposely sensationalist and I don't think either side acted inappropriately. (And this guy has the nerve to call himself a "journalist".)

3) The Youtube videos you have posted so far are inaccurate and biased.

4) You've failed to address some of my points in regards to the origin of the gamergate movement.

5) I'm usually not a stickler for stuff like this, but your grammar and spelling are so bad that I can barely understand what you're saying.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:05 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
1) gamergate discussion is "aloud". No one is banning gamergate discussion. I was the one who made this thread in the first place.

2) The title of the interview is purposely sensationalist and I don't think either side acted inappropriately. (And this guy has the nerve to call himself a "journalist".)

3) The Youtube videos you have posted so far are inaccurate and biased.

4) You've failed to address some of my points in regards to the origin of the gamergate movement.

5) I'm usually not a stickler for stuff like this, but your grammar and spelling are so bad that I can barely understand what you're saying.
wow & lol i think you're off topic :P

1) I don't know what you're talking about.

2) Everyone has different opinions and i think he did a great job many think so too.

3) That's not true. and explain yourself about the biased stuff.

4) i think i try my best since i'm just an average person. i have explain everything you wanted to know. Right now GamerGate is trying to change peoples views about them. Many are attacking Gawker because Gawker supports bullying, Many are defending themselves from extreme Feminist like Brianna Wu but just mocking them. And like i said before is still growing we might see more of their views in the near future. it takes time you know.

5) same to you i guess :P

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-16-2014 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgamer View Post
wow & lol i think you're off topic :P

1) I don't know what you're talking about.

2) Everyone has different opinions and i think he did a great job many think so too.

3) That's not true. and explain yourself about the biased stuff.

4) i think i try my best since i'm just an average person. i have explain everything you wanted to know. Right now GamerGate is trying to change peoples views about them. Many are attacking Gawker because Gawker supports bullying, Many are defending themselves from extreme Feminist like Brianna Wu but just mocking them. And like i said before is still growing we might see more of their views in the near future. it takes time you know.

5) same to you i guess :P
-We've already established that the Kotaku writer never reviewed Zoe Quinn's game.

-Christina Sommers is a social conservative regardless of her political affiliation. She works for AEI which was heavily affiliated with the Bush administration. Her ideas are based on a strict gender binary which are not only outdated but are harmful to transgender and non-binary people.

-No one is arguing that games make people sexist. However, video games do use sexist tropes.

-Gawker does not support bullying. That was a tweet from one employee taken out of context. One employee does not represent an entire company.

-Intel has already started advertising on Gamasutra again.

-Brianna Wu is not an "extreme" feminist. If gamergate views feminists as the "enemy", then it's a pretty crappy movement.

-If your goal was to defend #gamergate, then you're doing a pretty poor job of it.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 PM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
-We've already established that the Kotaku writer never reviewed Zoe Quinn's game.

-Christina Sommers is a social conservative regardless of her political affiliation. She works for AEI which was heavily affiliated with the Bush administration. Her ideas are based on a strict gender binary which are not only outdated but are harmful to transgender and non-binary people.

-No one is arguing that games make people sexist. However, video games do use sexist tropes.

-Gawker does not support bullying. That was a tweet from one employee taken out of context. One employee does not represent an entire company.

-Intel has already started advertising on Gamasutra again.

-Brianna Wu is not an "extreme" feminist. If gamergate views feminists as the "enemy", then it's a pretty crappy movement.

-If your goal was to defend #gamergate, then you're doing a pretty poor job of it.
- Actually the head of Kotaku said there was some sort of relationship but he took his word that nothing was going on between them.

-Where did Christina Sommers came to this conversation?

-Very true and yes they do sexist trope but can't you blame them since most developers grew up in the 80's where the trope was popular. Even Nintendo still uses it today since is still kid friendly.

- True it was one employee he is still isn't fired and Gawker still make controversial topics in their website.

- yeah that sucks.

- Well nobody likes Feminist look what they did to the guy about the shirt. He actually cry.


- Again I'm just average person with basic info don't know why you need to be upset about it. is not even a big deal.

Added after 4 minutes:

For those who don't know Christina Sommers, here's an excellent video from her enjoy.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-17-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

The time and place of where you were raised is not an excuse for being racist, sexist, etc. I don't care if you were raised in the 80s or the 50s. Bigoted ideas deserve 0 tolerance.

There are feminists in Mauritius and across the world who are working to better the conditions of female workers in their respective countries. The t-shirt scandal has nothing to do with feminism but classism and imperialism.

I already established that Christina Sommers is a hack that supports ideas that are toxic to trans and non-binary individuals.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:41 AM
Proto's Avatar
B@nned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Default

On the general topic of sexism in video games, I topic ive debated with friends is if a villain or really any bad guy in a video game does something sexist, i dont think the game should be labeled as sexist because its clearly being portrayed as a bad thing to do, this could possibly even be a tool to establish that the bad guy is indeed a bad guy in my opinion
__________________
Megaman, you patriotic doofus
Old 11-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Why does it have to be the villain? If the protagonist of a book was sexist would you say the book is sexist? No, because that doesn't even make sense. I don't understand why video games are treated so differently than other media. I would only label a video game as sexist if it rewarded sexist behavior.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:20 AM
Proto's Avatar
B@nned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,308
Default

i suppose you have a point, although its definitely a little sketchy because you generally root for/care for the protagonist, so giving the protagonist sexist mannerisms would be more or less presenting a sexist character in a positive light, which is a bad thing. and i mean there will always be anti heros and whatnot but i dont think its good to give an otherwise good character that sort of characteristics as it could convey the wrong things.

TL;DR the only way that having a sexist character would make a game/movie/book/etc sexist is if its presented in a positive light, heros and villians alike
__________________
Megaman, you patriotic doofus
Old 11-17-2014, 04:12 AM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Okay, I can agree with that statement.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:53 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
The time and place of where you were raised is not an excuse for being racist, sexist, etc. I don't care if you were raised in the 80s or the 50s. Bigoted ideas deserve 0 tolerance.

There are feminists in Mauritius and across the world who are working to better the conditions of female workers in their respective countries. The t-shirt scandal has nothing to do with feminism but classism and imperialism.

I already established that Christina Sommers is a hack that supports ideas that are toxic to trans and non-binary individuals.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
Where you got the racist part? I was just explaining the sexist part on why is being use in video games.

You really didn't establish anything. Don't know where you read that about her. But she's a true Feminist who tries to see equality for both genders.

Seems like you're the one who is lost in all of this.

Added after 21 Hours 26 minutes:

Here's another great video from Christina Sommers about GamerGate.

[QUOTE]


Here's an article about ABC that only cares about harassment than corruption.

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/201...er-corruption/

Here's a Quote.
Quote:
This is no longer an issue of games media being incompetent, inept or bereft of the proper measures of integrity to carry out the news and report on the facts, this is an issue of mainstream media and media at large opting not to maintain integrity or maintain a balanced stance when reporting in the interest of the public. Another major broadcaster has admitted to opting to cover one side of #GamerGate in the interest of time constraints.

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-18-2014 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:03 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgamer View Post
You really didn't establish anything. Don't know where you read that about her. But she's a true Feminist who tries to see equality for both genders.
You don't know anything about Sommers, feminism, or gender equality.

There are more than two genders. Gender is a spectrum and a social construct. There are cultures around the world that recognize more than two genders.

Forcing individuals to adhere to certain roles simply because of what gender they appear to be is harmful and unhealthy.

Modern feminism seeks to create a society where individuals are not forced into rigid gender roles and are accepted regardless of what gender they are. Sommers believes in a strict gender binary and opposes these modern feminist ideas.

Feminism has grown more inclusive and accepting while Sommers remains rooted in the past and clings to traditions that have no place in the 21st century.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:01 AM
secretgamer's Avatar  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Raccoon city
Posts: 626
Default

I believe in Equality for all genders and beyond.

You still don't add any facts about Sommers.

Yes the word Feminism has been inclusive and accepting which is why believe in the word. but not the extreme "feminist" point of views, imo.

Also this conversation going outside of GamerGate. i rather be on topic.

Added after 1 12 minutes:

This is crazy.

__________________
Please Understand.

Last edited by secretgamer; 11-18-2014 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvara View Post
Sommers believes in a strict gender binary and opposes these modern feminist ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by secretgamer View Post
You still don't add any facts about Sommers.
Pro-tip: If you're going to get in a debate with someone about a particular topic, actually read their posts.

Otherwise, you're just trolling at this point.

Also, tweets aren't necessarily accurate sources.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 PM
Joba's Avatar
Question Authority
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 1,212
Default

Did he seriously just get banned? wat.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 AM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joba View Post
Did he seriously just get banned? wat.
I gave every effort to respond directly to the content of their posts only to get "what are you talkin about :P" in response.

That's not a discussion.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:22 AM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Thanks for ridding us of that master troll.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:26 AM
ArtemisFlow's Avatar
Great Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Finland
Posts: 523
Default

Language warning

Nevermind his usual excessive cursing, I really, really agree with Jaffe here. And sorry for almost necroing this ****
__________________
Life moves on like a conveyor belt
Old 12-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Noddles's Avatar
Touch Miles
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SC
Posts: 3,710
Default

He's not wrong .
Old 12-17-2014, 11:17 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtemisFlow View Post
Language warning

Nevermind his usual excessive cursing, I really, really agree with Jaffe here. And sorry for almost necroing this ****
I see no lies.

#gamergate is pretty much dead at this point tho. Good riddance.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:57 PM
gatygun's Avatar  
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,053
Default

It's beyond me how gamersgate got this big really. It's about a girl sleeping around for better numbers.

Who cares about that lol? people sell there soul 24/7 for money, news at 11. ( american dream **** ya )

Game journalism is a joke and always was. It's just there to earn cash from publishers through advertisement and entertain people. People putting any emotional attachment towards this, seriously have to get checked by their doctor.

All this proofs is that "gamers" are out of touch with reality and created a fake illusion that there "hobby playing games" has a more in depth level then "hobby playing games".

Of course are those "journalists" jumping on this subject as it validates there entirely made up existence as being something more then just entertainers.

Gamersgate just proofs exactly what its builded for, a trap to see how stupid the gamer community really is and a gold mine for these sites to create a fake existence of acceptance that never was there to start with.
__________________
[Sold] 3DS zelda edition: Zelda OOT 3DS
[Sold] Blue 3DS XL
Old 01-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Scizor's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,314
Default

Is this really still going on? Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I thought gamergate died a while ago.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Rentaline's Avatar
No Bombs in Nintendoland
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,745
Default

When I was 12 I wanted to work for ign so I could play games and get free stuff
Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 PM
Kinvara's Avatar
Aquatic Admin
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inkopolis
Posts: 10,562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
Is this really still going on? Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I thought gamergate died a while ago.
Yeah, it dead and it accomplished absolutely nothing.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:18 AM
JustTheRain's Avatar
Turnip Tamer ♀
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Forget-Me-Not Valley, Canada
Posts: 216
Default

This thread should probably just die...

#GamerGate is a total waste of potential that was started by trolls and hi-jacked by even worse trolls.

There is a real discussion to be had about journalism ethics, and I am still waiting for it to happen.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Current Addiction: Pokemon Omega Ruby -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 50 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.